ReBuilding ButteA short documentary that follows a tiny home building project for fire survivors of the deadliest fire in CA history. Learn more
NYC Youth PsychosisA short narrative series about youth's experience coping with psychosis. Learn more
Teens, Mental Health & Social MediaA short series featuring researchers' solutions about digital wellness. Learn more
Empathy ProducedAmanda is mindful that interviewees are often sharing personal stories, or educating about topics that they care deeply about. Amanda has been on both sides of the camera, so she gets it. As a member of the Society of Professional Journalists, Amanda upholds herself to ethical journalism - especially, "give voice to the voiceless".
Production best-practices include:
- Consent and collaboration
- Strategic sharing
- Person centered
- Identity driven
Watch this 1 min. trailer about Drew’s story with psychosis. Learn more about NYC Youth Psychosis project here.
Clients have included:
Creative CollaborationOn every film, Amanda works closely with clients, interviewees, and relevant organizations to maximize impact. She believes creating a film is a discovery process, and an opportunity to build relationships and give voice to underrepresented stories.
- Kick-off: vision, goals, audience, timeline, budget
- Pre-production: storyboarding and scripting
- Production: interviews and footage
- Post-production: media management, editing, review rounds
- Promotion: marketing and distribution
Here’s how I started and some interviews I’ve done:.
Theory to Creativity:Filmmaking is an art and science. Amanda's creative approach is grounded in social psychology, entertainment-education, and systems change theory. Essentially, the goal is to deliver prosocial health messages to positively influencing awareness, knowledge, attitudes, or behaviors.
- Transportation Theory (Green & Brock)
- The extent that individuals are absorbed into a story (identification)
- The Identification Scale (Cohen)
- The extent to which viewers identify with a character
- Entertainment Overcoming Resistance Model (Moyer-Guse).
- The narrative format increases absorption in the drama, reducing resistance to the messaging.
- Elaboration Likelihood Model (Petty, Cacioppo, Shrum)
- Immersive engagement making it easier to influence beliefs, attitudes, and behavior.
- Social Cognitive Theory (Bandura)
- The most commonly applied theory in the area of entertainment-education
Film AmbassadorAmanda believes films are a movement and call to action. She is a passionate ambassador of her films and the causes and organizations they represent. She leverages her public speaking platform to raise awareness on a larger scale. Since age 18, she has given over 150 speeches across the globe on filmmaking, mental health recovery, and social entrepreneurship.
Teens & Digital Wellness
A short series with Technology and Adolescent Mental Wellness program (TAM) led by the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Pediatrics. These films showcase youth and researchers tackling the intersection of teens, tech, and wellness.Learn More
ReBuilding Butte: A Short Documentary
This film follows a heartfelt tiny house building project in response to the deadliest fire in California history in 2018 – The Camp Fire – that destroyed Paradise and surrounding Butte County communities.Learn More
We all sat around the table, having met each other only moments before. There were 14 of us from states[...]
About one in five US adults cannot afford the mental healthcare they need, a grim reality exacerbated by COVID-19 and[...]
When I first heard about the tiny home building project to help California fire survivors, I signed up to volunteer[...]
Drew was studying media and film at Bronx Community College when he first experienced the symptoms. He was hearing things[...]