Latest Film Projects:
- Teens & Digital Wellness - completed!
- A short series with University of Wisconsin, Madison. Learn more here.
- Youth Psychosis in NYC -- completed!
- A short series with Columbia Psychiatry, OnTrackNY. Learn more here.
- Tiny Homes for Camp Fire Survivors -- in post-production
- A short documentary. Learn more here.
Creative CollaborationAmanda believes that the journey creating a film is as important as the film itself. This requires building trust, relationships and a culture of partnership throughout the production process. On every film, Amanda works closely with the client, interviewees, and relevant organizations to leverage meaningful opportunities for impact.
Production steps include:
- Kick-off: discuss vision, goals, audience, scope of work, budget
- Pre-production: draft storyboards, identify/prep interviews, marketing strategy
- Production: conduct interviews, onsite audio-visual recording
- Post-production: media management, editing, color grading, sound design, review & approval rounds
- Promotion: promote films across platforms & parters to reach goals & audiences
Amanda has worked with
Empathy ProducedThe goal is to have an experience while making a film. Amanda is mindful that interviewees are often sharing personal stories and topics that they care deeply about. Amanda has been on both sides of the camera, so she gets it. Amanda coaches and supports interviewees throughout the production process, helping them to feel safe and comfortable with their story and style of expression.
Production best-practices include:
- Consent and collaboration
- Strategic sharing tips
- Motivational interviewing
- Person centered
- Identity driven
Theory to PracticeAmanda believes that making a film is both an art and a science. As both a researcher and creative strategist, she considers both the sociological and entertainment theories in crafting a film. Entertainment-education is a type of narrative messaging intervention that emotionally involves the viewer in the storyline and aims to effect social change - which can occur at the level of individual, community, or society. Essentially, the goal is to deliver prosocial health messages to positively influencing awareness, knowledge, attitudes, and/or behaviors. Theories and practices include:
- Transportation Theory (Green & Brock)
- The extent that individuals are absorbed into a story (identification)
- The Identification Scale (Cohen)
- The extent to which viewers identify with a character
- Entertainment Overcoming Resistance Model (Moyer-Guse).
- The narrative format increases absorption in the drama, reducing resistance to the messaging.
- Elaboration Likelihood Model (Petty, Cacioppo, Shrum)
- Immersive engagement making it easier to influence beliefs, attitudes, and behavior.
- Social Cognitive Theory (Bandura)
- The most commonly applied theory in the area of entertainment-education
Technology MindsetWe're in a Digital Age now where technology is becoming more compact and higher quality every day. This allows Amanda and her crew members to leverage an overall minimalistic approach while not compromising cinematic integrity. This way we can move with the story physically or geographically, and be cost-effective and efficient.
Film AmbassadorAmanda believes films are a movement and call to action. She is a passionate ambassador of her films and the causes and organizations they represent. She leverages her public speaking platform to raise awareness on a larger scale. Since age 18, she has given over 150 speeches across the globe on filmmaking, mental health recovery, and social entrepreneurship.
When I first heard about the tiny home building project to help California fire survivors, I signed up to volunteer[...]
Drew was studying media and film at Bronx Community College when he first experienced the symptoms. He was hearing things[...]
The Technology and Adolescent Mental Wellbeing Program (TAM), a philanthropically sponsored research initiative led by the efforts of the Social[...]
Since 2016, my filmmaking company, Lipp Studios, has been making short documentary films presenting the successful recoveries of several young[...]