Meet Amanda (3 min.)
COVID update:Amanda is offering virtual speeches and workshops. She also addresses talking points through pre-recorded interviews. For example, UC Davis asked Amanda to submit a video for their virtual conference addressing speaking prompts.
Talking Points & Workshops
Topic: Symptoms to Superpowers: Finding Strength & Creativity
Amanda’s shares her journey from mental health breakdown during college to becoming a mental health leader. Spending three months in a psychiatric hospital hearing patients’ stories of struggle and triumph, she observed from the inside-out how the system works. She shares how hitting rock bottom gave her ‘superpowers’ of empathy and insight to help audiences learn.
What's your mental health superpower?
- How can vulnerability evolve to strength
- Why challenging the system is needed now more than ever
- Why creative healing is a personal investment
Topic: Humanizing Mental Health: The Impact of Storytelling
Amanda’s journey to becoming a filmmaker began with storyboarding patient’s stories at the psychiatric hospital. She learned that listening and crafting a story can be therapeutic and empowering. As she learned the art of interviewing and storyboarding, she realized that filmmaking practices translate to everyday human interactions as well. It’s rather simple: people want to be heard, appreciated, and represented. When we see others talk about mental health, it gives us the opportunity to reflect on our own.
Do we listen with intent?
- How storytelling can improve access to services & support
- Why strategic sharing empowers agency & accountability
- How owning our personal narratives builds confidence
Workshop: Cause-Driven Filmmaking: How films can help people
Amanda shares behind-the-scenes of how she makes short documentary films. Her specialty is cause-driven filmmaking in mental health and social impact. In other words, how can films help people's lives and improve systems? Amanda believes filmmaking is both an art and a science that requires building strategic partnerships and thinking outside the box.
How can films drive empathy & innovation?
- Power & Responsibility: bias and journalistic ethics in interviewing and editing
- Digital Advertising: using digital advertising methods to proactively reach people seeking help online
- Film Production 101: creating film budgets, building crews, and film fundraising
- Theory to Practice: trauma-informed principles and entertainment-education theories in film practices
- Film Promotion: digital advertising, strategic partnerships, and film festivals
Topic: Pulling up a Seat at the Table
Amanda shares her insights starting her filmmaking and consulting business at 23 years old to serving on state and national mental health boards since she was 19 years old. She often gets asked by youth: "How did you get started in mental health?", or "How did you become a filmmaker?"
Start with your passion & what you love
- Passion 1st: leading with your gut and strengths
- Humility with Confidence: knowing when to step up, and when to step to the side
- Equity: challenging teams and boards to be representative of their diverse communities
- Just start: incremental success and leaning into discomfort
Topic: Work Hard, Play Harder
Now more than ever, traditional workplaces are being altered and challenged. Managing work-life balance and finding outlets is key to wellness. How do we build a career that works with our lifestyle? What if we invested in ourselves as much as our careers? Time off and flexibility has become normalized and even encouraged. This is also a privilege and depends on one's work culture and its leadership. Amanda has been working remotely since she graduated college in 2014, navigating the pressures of being a serial business owner and meeting demands of clients and employers. She has built her work around her lifestyle.
- Get off the grid: seeing time off as an investment in both your personal and professional life
- Progress over perfection: there's always more to do, so celebrate the small wins
- Investing in you: prioritizing your personal aspirations as much as your career goals
Amanda has spoken at
Amanda in action at...
The COVID-19 pandemic and its effects--i.e., home isolation protocols, lockdowns and shutdowns, economic recession, and massive layoff--has affected almost everyone’s[...]
When I first heard about the tiny home building project to help California fire survivors, I signed up to volunteer[...]
Drew was studying media and film at Bronx Community College when he first experienced the symptoms. He was hearing things[...]
The Technology and Adolescent Mental Wellbeing Program (TAM), a philanthropically sponsored research initiative led by the efforts of the Social[...]