COVID update:Amanda is offering virtual keynotes and workshops. As a filmmaker, Amanda is able to get creative with agencies and interview herself offering testimonies or thoughts about specific topics. For example, UC Davis asked Amanda to submit a video responding to prompts to blast out to their audience.
Speaking and Workshop Points
Topic 1: Layers of Identity: Adversity to Advocacy
Amanda shares her journey navigating the mental health system when she experienced psychiatric hospitalization during college. She shares how this experience of hitting rock bottom empowered her to move forward and channel adversity into advocacy.
- Navigating identity, self stigma, and social stigma
- Challenging traditional systems of care and practices
- Embracing creativity as an outlets and crafting our mental health narratives
Topic 2: Technology & Storytelling in Mental Health
Amanda shares the power of filmmaking and storytelling as 'digital tools' for advocacy, fundraising, and improving online help-seeking experiences. She shares her production practices and lessons creating over 50 short documentary films about youth treatment programs, digital wellness, art therapy, and more.
- Telling stories as mechanisms to build rapport and to promote prosocial help-seeking behavior.
- Applying digital advertising methodologies - films and stories as gateways to resources.
- Considering sociological, social cognitive, and entertainment-education theories in creative production practices.